The Ramón Power y Giralt House was the home of the famous historical figure who was the first Puerto Rican representative to the Spanish Cortes (1810). Representing Puerto Rico, he lobbied for political, economic, and social reforms for the island.
The residence exemplifies the typical San Juan home of the 19th century. It is located on Tetuan Street in Old San Juan. It has a brick ceiling built on beams and a frame of balata wood. Representations of native birds are painted on the masonry walls.
In 1989, the Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico acquired the home and restored it according to the historic rehabilitation norms of Old San Juan established by the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture. Currently, the house is the headquarters for the Conservation Trust, a private, non-profit institution whose purpose is to acquire and preserve the natural resources of Puerto Rico.
Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico, Description of the areas and nature preserves of the Conservation Trust of Puerto Rico.
Author: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: September 09, 2014.
This post is also available in: Español