The Punta Higüera lighthouse is located on PR Route 4413 in the municipality of Rincón in western Puerto Rico. This intermediate light fills in between the Punta Borinquen lighthouse in Aguadilla and the one in Cabo Rojo. The original structure dates to 1892 and is a sixth-order lighthouse, with a light that reaches six miles.
The original lighthouse consisted of a rectangular living area built of brick and stone and an octagonal tower. There was exposed brick in the façade, around the doors and windows, and on the corners. The facades were covered in red stucco.
In 1918, an earthquake hit the western region and destroyed the lighthouse. In 1921, reconstruction of the lighthouse began, but in 1922, the U.S. Coast Guard decided to demolish it and build a new one. The new structure is three stories tall and built of reinforced concrete. It consists of an isolated cylindrical tower. A stairway of reinforced concrete leads to each floor and another, made of iron, leads to the tower. This lighthouse is similar to the one at Punta Borinquen, but its dimensions are different. The tower measures 12 feet tall with an internal diameter of 10 feet. In 1933, an automatic illumination system was installed.
Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: Catalog of properties, National Register of Historic Sites, State Office of Historic Conservation, Office of the Governor, 1995.
The Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico, 1846-1979. Oficina Estatal de Conservación Histórica, Oficina del Gobernador 1995.
Sánchez Terry, Miguel Angel. Los faros españoles de ultramar, Madrid: Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transporte, Centro de Publicaciones, 1992.
Author: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: September 04, 2014.
This post is also available in: Español