Punta de la Tuna lighthouse

Punta de la Tuna lighthouse

The Punta de Tuna lighthouse is located in the southeast of the island in Maunabo. It is part of the system of lighthouses of the east and south coasts of the island. This third-order lighthouse dates to 1893 and consists of a rectangular structure with an octagonal tower.

The main structure, built in neo-classical style, is made of masonry and stone and measures 27.7 x 12.4 x 5.5 meters (91 x 41 x 18 feet). The entrance and main façade face east. The octagonal tower measures 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) in diameter in the interior and has a square base and a 14.5-meter (47.6-foot) forged iron spiral staircase. The lantern is made of forged iron, copper and glass. In the tower there is also a reinforced concrete gallery with a balustrade of forged iron. The original lantern, forged iron balustrade, and system of clocks have survived the passage of time. In 1989, an automatic system of illumination was installed and continues in service today.

Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: Catalog of properties, National Register of Historic Sites, State Office of Historic Conservation, Office of the Governor, 1995.

References 

The Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico, 1846-1979. Oficina Estatal de Conservación Histórica, Oficina del Gobernador 1995.

Sánchez Terry, Miguel Angel. Los faros españoles de ultramar, Madrid: Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transporte, Centro de Publicaciones, 1992.

Author: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: September 04, 2014.

Related Entries

This post is also available in: Español

Comente

The Puerto Rico Endowment for the Humanities welcomes the constructive comments that the readers of the Encyclopedia of Puerto Rico want to make us. Of course, these comments are entirely the responsibility of their respective authors.