The lighthouse for the port of Ponce is located on Cardona Key, west of the Ponce bay. This sixth-order lighthouse was built in 1889 to guide ships arriving at the port.
The neo-classical style structure is made of stone and masonry and consists of a one-story rectangular building with a cylindrical tower 10 meters (33 feet) tall, attached to the rear wall. The facades are simple, with double windows made of wood, and are joined by a cornice. The building still has the original flat roof of bricks and beams. A forged iron stairway leads to the upper part of the tower where the original octagonal lantern, which was built in 1888, is still working. An automatic illumination system was installed in 1962.
Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: Catalog of properties, National Register of Historic Sites, State Office of Historic Conservation, Office of the Governor, 1995.
The Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico, 1846-1979. Oficina Estatal de Conservación Histórica, Oficina del Gobernador 1995.
Sánchez Terry, Miguel Angel. Los faros españoles de ultramar, Madrid: Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transporte, Centro de Publicaciones, 1992.
Author: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: September 04, 2014.
This post is also available in: Español