The First United Methodist Church of Ponce was built under the sponsorship of the Missionary Society of the United Methodist Episcopal Church in 1907 on a plot of land that belonged to the Vendrell Toro family.
It was designed by Antonín Nechodoma (1877-1928), a Czech architect based in Puerto Rico and a follower of the United States architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The structure’s design displays Gothic influences and elements from the California missions. The asymmetrical floor plan, the use of bell towers, the flat façade with curved parapets and rosettes are examples of the mission style. However, the arched vault in the main nave, the stained glass windows with pointed arches and the exterior corners accented with buttresses are elements characteristic of Gothic architecture, as are the four pillars that support the roof and are decorated with local wood.
The temple is divided into three naves. In a small vaulted chapel is an altar with a cross flanked by two candelabra. The structure has a series of stained glass windows that recreate religious illustrations, such as the Resurrection of Christ and the baptism of Jesus. The exterior walls are made of reinforced concrete blocks that were fabricated to give the appearance of stone blocks.
Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: Catalog of Properties, National Registry of Historic Sites, State Office of Historic Conservation, Office of the Governor, 1995.
Author: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: September 17, 2014.
This post is also available in: Español