The Los Morillos lighthouse is located south of the town of Cabo Rojo and illuminates the southwest corner of the island. The neo-classical style structure dates to 1882 and is classified as a third-order lighthouse with a reach of 18 miles from its white light and a period of one minute. The original plans show that the structure is very similar to the lighthouses of Arecibo and Cabezas de San Juan in Fajardo. It was the third one built under the Spanish government’s master plan for lighthouses.
Los Morrillos lighthouse of Cabo Rojo consists of a rectangular structure of 27.5 x 11.35 x 6 meters (90 x 37 x 20 feet). The main entrance faces north and leads to a small vestibule. From there, a corridor divides the structure into two parts: on one side, the lodging for a lighthouse keeper and an engineer, and on the other side, a warehouse. The hexagonal tower is attached to the principal structure and measures 18.3 meters (60 feet) tall, including the lantern, and has a spiral staircase made of forged iron. In the tower are two windows with a view to the south and a door that opens onto the roof, which is designed to collect rain water. The vaulted circular storage area, where the oil was originally stored, is located under the tower. The lantern, of French design, was surrounded by an iron balustrade. The lighthouse was restored between 2001 and 2004 and is still working today.
Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: Catalog of properties, National Register of Historic Sites, State Office of Historic Conservation, Office of the Governor, 1995.
The Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico, 1846-1979. Oficina Estatal de Conservación Histórica, Oficina del Gobernador 1995.
Sánchez Terry, Miguel Angel. Los faros españoles de ultramar, Madrid: Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transporte, Centro de Publicaciones, 1992.
Author: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: September 04, 2014.
This post is also available in: Español