The Jacinto López Martínez School was the first formal school built in the municipality of Dorado. The building is a product of the United States government’s emphasis on improving the educational system on the island.
Construction of the building began in 1923 and it was inaugurated in 1925. Architect Pedro Adolfo de Castro was responsible for the design. The school, built of reinforced concrete, combined art deco and Spanish revival architectural elements in its design, which gave it a modern appearance. The use of mosaics, arches, and a fountain in the garden are elements that lend elegance to the structure.
The façade unifies the two levels with a series of arches. On both sides, two towers mark the entrances of the structure. The administrative offices are in the central area and the classrooms, located in the wings, are divided by wood walls that open onto the hallways and connect to the other spaces in the building to provide natural light and ventilation.
The school remains in excellent condition today. The only alterations have been the replacement of the wood trusses in the roof with reinforced concrete and the replacement of the original wood windows with metal ones. In 1988, the building was added to the United States National Register of Historic Places and it houses a middle school today.
Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: Catalog of Properties, National Register of Historic Sites, State Office of Historic Conservation, Office of the Governor, 1995.
Author: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: January 08, 2010.
This post is also available in: Español