The Culebritas Island lighthouse is located in the southeast of the island of Culebritas in the municipality of Culebra, on the west side of the Virgin Islands Passage which separates this municipality from the U.S. Virgin Islands. This fourth-order lighthouse illuminates a radius of 12 miles. It is part of the system of lighthouses developed in Puerto Rico in the late 19th century.
The lighthouse dates to 1886. It is made of stone in neo-classical style. The T-shaped structure has a tower in the center, connected to the living area by a covered walkway. The main entrance faces southwest. The lenses of the lantern were made between 1884 and 1885. It emits a white light.
After hurricane San Ciprián in 1932, the lighthouse was in poor condition and had to be rebuilt. In 1964, an automatic illumination system was installed. Although the Culebritas Island lighthouse is still functioning today, the structure has deteriorated, especially due to vandalism.
Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: Catalog of properties, National Register of Historic Sites, State Office of Historic Conservation, Office of the Governor, 1995.
The Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico, 1846-1979. Oficina Estatal de Conservación Histórica, Oficina del Gobernador 1995.
Sánchez Terry, Miguel Angel. Los faros españoles de ultramar, Madrid: Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transporte, Centro de Publicaciones, 1992.
Author: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: September 04, 2014.
This post is also available in: Español