The Caja de Muertos Island lighthouse was built in 1887 on the highest point on the island, which is located southeast of the municipality of Ponce.
The architectural style of this third-order lighthouse is neoclassical. It consists of a single floor in the shape of an “H,” which differentiates it from the other lighthouses of the island. The tower rises from the center of the structure. The main entrance is built in the form of a podium and opens to a small vestibule, around which are the engineering room, the warehouse rooms, the storage room for the oil, the dormitories for the lighthouse keepers, as well as the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms.
The cylindrical tower measures 19 meters (62 feet) tall, including the lantern, and its interior is 2.5 meters (8 feet) in diameter. A forged iron spiral stairway leads to the lantern. In the upper part of the tower is a gallery with a forged iron railing. The original lantern was built in 1885, but in 1923 the illumination system was changed. In 1945, an automatic illumination system was installed. The lighthouse continues in service today.
Adapted by the PROE Editorial Group
Original source: Catalog of properties, National Register of Historic Sites, State Office of Historic Conservation, Office of the Governor, 1995.
The Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico, 1846-1979. Oficina Estatal de Conservación Histórica, Oficina del Gobernador 1995.
Sánchez Terry, Miguel Angel. Los faros españoles de ultramar, Madrid: Ministerio de Obras Públicas y Transporte, Centro de Publicaciones, 1992.
Author: Grupo Editorial EPRL
Published: September 04, 2014.
This post is also available in: Español